LT focus: To understand the power of mindfulness and taking time out
- Introduce the topic of meditation- what is it? What does it involve? Who is involved? Where can it take place? Etc.
- Introduce the vocabulary that will be used “relax”, Breathe in, breathe out”, “imagine”, “tense” etc.
- Discuss: When are we most comfortable/relaxed? (sitting, in a quiet area, soft music etc.)
- Share how they feel right now (prior to meditation)- note some points on the board.
- Discuss what could happen if we are unable to settle- try to relax, keep eyes closed, stay calm.
- Explore meditation music, relaxing the body (get comfortable) and lighting
- Prepare class for meditation by relaxing the body- rolling shoulders, breathing slowly, getting comfortable etc.
- Set up music and lighting.
- Begin meditation with the class. If there are pupils not settled, gently remind them to relax and keep eyes closed
- Allow class to wake up slowly from the meditation slowly and continue
- Discuss the meditation
- Discuss the feelings they now have- compare to the previous notes made on the board
Other teacher resources for teaching this topic:
Soft music, meditation themed script