Chinese New Year
The child will be enabled to:
- listen to the story of how Chinese New Year began
- discuss similarities and differences between Chinese New Year and New Year celebrations in Ireland
- use a calendar to determine what animal is represented this year
- create artwork based on Chinese new Year celebrations
- Introduce the topic of Chinese New Year by asking the class if anyone has heard about it before or knows anything about it.
- Read the story of the Chinese Emperor and his animal race with the class on the interactive whiteboard
- Show the class the chart of the 12 animals of the Chinese Zodiac and work together to find out what animal is represented this year.
- Watch a video about how Chinese New Year is celebrated.
- Discuss similarities and differences between CYN and how the new year is celebrated in Ireland.
Create a piece of artwork inspired by CNY fireworks. Using an empty toilet roll snipped at the end to create a stamp, dip into a variety of bright coloured paint and print on to black paper. Finish off by sprinkling some glitter over the paint
Other teacher resources for teaching this topic:
Powerpoint story on Chinese New Year
Video about CNY celebrations
Example of how to create fireworks artwork