Chinese New Year
The child will be enabled to:
- explain the origins of Chinese New Year
- determine the date of the Chinese New Year
- discuss Chinese tradition
- Tell students they will be learning about Chinese New Year, beginning with a history of the holiday and then learning about the symbols.
- Read the story of the Chinese Emperor and his animal race with them on the interactive whiteboard
- Have students create a Venn diagram or to compare and contrast Chinese New Year and Irish New Year traditions
- Hand out copies of our lesson Chinese New Year Signs & Symbols.
- Read through the ‘Chinese Zodiac’ sections together as a class. Stop and discuss.
- Allow students to read about the symbols. Direct them to locate the animal that represents their own birth year.
- Have students decorate their New Year pictures with crayons and markers, then hang in the room
Play traditional Chinese games, like Chinese dominoes
Recap on what we have learned using a KWL chart.
Other teacher resources for teaching this topic:
Powerpoint story on Chinese New Year
Digital images of Chinese Celebrations