Martin Luther King Day
- Pupils will become aware of the ideas and words of Martin Luther King Jr. through his famous “I Have a Dream” speech.
- Pupils will learn about Martin Luther King’s life and his work as a civil rights leader in the US.
Teacher will play audio clip of Martin Luther King “I have a dream” speech.
Question pupils on the speech eg
- Who do you think is making the speech?
- What is the main message of the speech?
- To whom might this speech be addressed to?
- What do country do you think the speech is taking place in?
Inform pupils that the speech was made by MLK.
KWL-what they know already about MLK and what they would like to know more about him?
MLK PowerPoint presentation
Discuss key vocab –
Segregation: separation; keeping people apart
Boycott: avoiding as a means of protest
Discrimination: unfair treatment because of race, ethnicity,gender, or age
Assassinate: kill for political or religious reasons
Watch video of MLK speech-“I have a dream”
Pupils complete their own dream for the future writing activity.
Conclude KWL chart
Pupils can share their own dream for the future with a buddy.